Mr. Cock Roach


26th September, 2012
And there it was, staring in my face, the cockroach near my left foot as I sat on my toilet seat seeking the blessings of the gravitational force. It was waving its whiskers at me in a delusional way, as if it was asking me to eat it. It was full grown roach and it was asking to be smacked before it touched me. But I, being a humble polite resident of my house, spared the poor creature’s life by scaring him away, trying to avoid stepping on it. However, as I waved my hand by it to scare it, to my horror, it didn’t move at all. The first thought that came to my mind was “Do cockroaches have hearts?” because I was considering the fact that it may have been scared to death with a heart attack by my waving. But I was wrong.  It had a sense of drama to it. It moved slowly, almost as if teasing me to come and get it. It was moving away, away from my feet, at a slow rate. The light in the bathroom was not great, so I could not see clearly if it was hurt or something. It didn’t matter anyways. Slowly and steadily, it crawled and with some effort, it finally moved out of the bathroom from beneath the door. When I came out of the room sometime later, I could not find a trace of him. Perhaps that is the way they live. They come and talk to you and then they leave, only to be found again when they want. And they said that we were the most powerful species on the planet.

28th September, 2012
It was morning. I was getting ready to leave for the bus stop to catch the company bus. You see, it comes at 8:10 in the morning. Hell of a timing. Almost lost the habit for it, of waking up and early and stuff. And Worse; I see the old little cockroach again. The obvious conclusion at seeing him was that it was the same one, giving myself comfort in the belief that it was a one-off roach in the house. It was hiding behind my right shoe near the bed. I bent down to pick up my shoe and to my surprise, for at least 5 cm above the ground, it was clinging on to the show somehow. Then it dropped, running like haywire around me as if to try and kill me. It tried once, by hitting my feet with its ferocious pointed needle-like whiskers, but ended up getting dis-oriented. It ran away beneath the bed and disappeared into thin air.

1st October, 2012
It is dead. I saw it, lying upside down near the dining table in the hall. Lying with his back to the floor, it laid in peace, eyes closed, whiskers not moving, heart not beating. Like Jaithliya lies on a bed while sleeping, motionless, dead, without life and warmth, it was waiting for the inevitable, the maid clearing it out and putting its big, grown, beautiful body in the dustbin. I was hoping that it would suddenly turn again and start walking around the house. I would even let it crawl on my keyboard for a while, if it wanted to. Would its feet have been able to move the cursor off the touchpad? I miss it.  

Comments