Memoirs from the near future

There were times when any bomb explosion or murder or a rape used to shock the people when broadcasted on news channels or printed in newspapers. They do not anymore. People have accepted the reality where rules no longer apply. Defying the system, breaking the laws and fooling the world seems like the emergence of free will. People feel liberated when they can do what they want, instead of what the government tells them to do or what their neighbour expects from them. This free will and exercising it seems like the right thing to do. Is it?
Private enterprises obviously are not servants to expectations from the public. They can charge whatever they want and give you whatever you asked for without any ties except for what they promise. Same does not go for people. Am I, an individual, a person born in this country or any other, bound by some rules to follow? I did not choose this world, my parents did. They brought me here to make myself a slave of the society. They got some gratification of having completed a step or having reached some milestone in the journey of life. Not to mention, an insurance for their older selves. Why am I not allowed to do whatever I want, like a nomad in the early days where the rules were not present then and people were still
learning.


What if the early ancestors of ours chose a wrong path? What if they were not smart enough to build the societal structure we have today. What if something better was possible? We are living an alternate timeline with a history following a path we did not choose. In some other parallel universe, a wiser man or woman built a society that is far better than ours, with just a small change in their thinking. Our species is capable of that society, it deserves it, hence it exists. However, our version of the species, with our version of the ancestors could not reach that state.
I hope time travel is possible, but only given to the wisest of them all. This sort of feels like we do need a smarter race than ours, but they let us live with them. They let us understand and build a better world with better rules, better commitment to follow them and more honest people. And even if people are not going to be honest, then lets remove the rule of being honest from our society so that I am prepared for it. If I have to always encompass all possibilities in my analysis of the world around me, it would be impossible to handle it. Essentially, I am looking to avoid surprises.
I am bored. It is a Saturday. Can we bring Monday a little sooner?

Comments